Wednesday, November 05, 2014

fall is for...


...making new hats. For everyone, whether they already have a hat or not. Luckily Sadie and Milo are eager participants in my too-many-hats-for-one-household fall knitting extravaganza. They happily help design, choose yarn, and model the finished result. And since these were finished a couple weeks ago, I can also add "wear the new hat daily" to their supportive behaviours. I love these kids.

I also love these hats. Sadie's colour blocked version combines two great wools: Crestone by Classic Elite and the sumptuous Canopy Worsted by The Fibre Company. I meant to only knit a stripe of the ivory, but once I started I just didn't want to stop. The pompom is a rather decadent yarn choice, but Sadie and I agreed that this Acadia by The Fibre Company was THE purple the hat needed. We didn't agree on the pompom for Milo's hat though; Sadie felt that a mid-grey option was better. Milo was more easily influenced and agreed to ivory Purlsoho Merino (thank you Squam attendee bag!) to top off another Snappy Cable hat for him. I've made bulkier versions of this hat before, but this worsted version, in Debbie Bliss Rialto, is soft and a little more sophisticated for him. 

In contrast to knitting, a lot of late working nights has slowed down my fall reading quite a bit. Since September I've only managed to finish The Violets of March by Sarah Jio and Our Daily Bread by Lauren B. Davis. Jio's novel was light with a compelling level of mystery, perfect for a few pages every night. Davis' novel - only my second in this year's Canadian Book Challenge - was much more powerful, but also totally devastating. Set on the east coast, it reveals a stark and disturbing difference between those who live in a small town and those who live "on the mountain" near the town. Driven by poverty and affected by drug abuse, the children raised on the mountain endure unthinkable situations that slowly come to light throughout the story. At the same time a family in town gradually falls apart until a shocking climax which helps sets change in motion. Painful but profound, I'm eager to pick up another novel by Davis.

For more knitting and reading catch-ups visit today's Yarnalong hosted by Ginny at Small Things.

4 comments :

Catrinel said... [Reply to comment]

Very beautiful hats!
I'm excited that I found your blog. It is very pretty!

Steph VW said... [Reply to comment]

Love the new hats. You've inspired me to do some colour blocking with my knits and add some pom poms in contrasting colours. We'll see what the winter brings.

The "Our Daily Bread" story is a sad tale that, in one way or another, most Nova Scotians are aware of and are horrified by. I know the story, but haven't read the book. I may have to add it to my list.

Evelyn said... [Reply to comment]

I've been knitting hats this fall, too, although at the moment I don't have any designated recipients. I just love the meditative aspect of knitting hats ~ love your two new ones!

mysticvixen said... [Reply to comment]

hi Sam! I am going to try and email you but if I don't find you-- will you please email me? I have a question for you. :) elizabeth AT squamartworkshops DOT com