Wednesday, April 30, 2014

the colour of comfort




There has been something about turning 40 (which happens tomorrow, whether I want it to or not) that has compelled me to make things for friends near and far. And the elegant, but comfortable shawl has become my go-to thing to make.

This simple red version is for someone who has been very dear to me since we met at overnight summer camp 26 years ago. We weren't from the same town, but happened to meet again at a different overnight camp two years later (it was an arts camp for our school region). And shortly after that we moved to Kingston, starting our BFA at the same time and living in the same residence. Ours was destined to be a lifelong friendship! We've lived together, sewn together, run a business together. And the most magical thing is that we were born on the same day. It's pretty neat to wake up every May 1st as excited to wish my best friend happy birthday as it is to celebrate my own. I'm so thankful our 14-year-old selves crossed paths.

Kristen lives a province away and so this shawl is in the hands of Canada Post. Red has always been a shared favourite colour and when I saw this wool I knew it was perfect for her. The yak down/cormo blend has a lovely smell (where does that come from?) and the semi-solid is nice and subtle. After blocking the shawl, it was everything I had hoped for: a warm, red, wool hug.


Travelling in the same package is a little lavender sachet with some small scale cross-stitch that made my eyes hurt (clearly they know I'm turning 40). Shawls and sachets - I feel like we could all use them in our lives, whatever age we are.

I'll catch up on reading reviews next week - starting with The Light Between Oceans. I finished it last night with a few tears and a sad heart. I need time to digest it!

For more stories from other knitters and readers, visit today's Yarnalong.

7 comments :

mamasmercantile said... [Reply to comment]

What a lovely gift, thoughtful and beautiful. Happy birthday.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

what is the pattern Sam, it looks like it might not be too hard. I tried to start an Oaklet....fail.

kjramstack said... [Reply to comment]

"A warm, red wool hug." What a wonderful thought. I'm sure your friend will love it.

Kristen said... [Reply to comment]

I love the color! What a beautiful gift for a friend! Happy birthday to you both!

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@Anonymous It's basically Stephen West's Boneyard Shawl without the inner rows of purl stitches. Super simple, super satisfying. Definitely give it a try!

angelina said... [Reply to comment]

beautiful knitting!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.