Wednesday, January 25, 2012

joining the bears



Even though it isn't really cold out there, January still seems like the right time to hibernate. To help fuel this belief, I accidentally knit up the perfect hibernation sweater. My intentions were to use my favourite Debbie Bliss Luxury Donegal Tweed to make a slightly longer, open cardigan that I could wear to work. But instead I went overboard with the length (one small fault with the wool - it grows substantially in length when blocked) and the collar, so much so that the sweater is more like wrapping yourself in a blanket which doesn't really scream business casual. It only screams "go hibernate on your sofa". I've been closing it with a kilt pin (how lazy!) and with so much wear I am already rolling up the cuffs. The stitch counts were from Leaflet, though I ignored the lace panel at the back. If I were to make this again - in a wool that might be more suitable for work - I would try some short rows in the collar for a better fold over at the neck. But with Leaflet as a base, there are so many simple modifications you could make that would result in a very versatile sweater, hibernation style or not.



To go along with wearing blanket sweaters and knitting daily, I have been devouring books lately (winter just may be my favourite season). I enjoyed A Student of Weather so much more than the better-known Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay. There was a moment in the story involving a baby and a snow storm that made my heart pound; I couldn't breathe properly until it was resolved, it was so intense. And I stayed up very late every night last week because I couldn't close The Weight of Silence. Now I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog and it's delightfully different from the other two and intriguing in its own way. I'm slowly reading In Defense of Food because I don't want to stress too much about how awful my own diet is, but it's still a great read. It's just that while I'm in this comfy, hibernating mood I'd rather avoid food guilt. Life is too short and there are way more rewarding ways to enjoy this dark month.

For more knitting and reading recaps visit this week's Yarnalong over at Small Things.

4 comments :

Andria said... [Reply to comment]

I agree with your idea of hibernating, I want to too!! I love your cardigan, sometimes it is nice to have a big, warm sweater even if it wasn't quite what you were hoping for.

Jennifer said... [Reply to comment]

The sweater looks absolutely awesome, so warm and enveloping.
JNCL
The Beauty of Eclecticism

beth said... [Reply to comment]

Your sweater is divine!! I always love "hearing" about new books, so thanks!

Yarny Days said... [Reply to comment]

That is so pretty! Looks so cozy.