Monday, September 19, 2011

the almost cables


For no specific reason, I have avoided trying cables.  But then I came across the Frog Tree Cabled Tam (this version in particular is amazing) and thought it would be fun to try something new. I'm easily excited, it turns out.

Here's the verdict: cables aren't scary, the third needle makes the knitting interesting and I'm still in love with Debbie Bliss Luxury Donegal Tweed. But even with gauge, this hat is huge on me. I could store another whole head of hair inside that thing. I haven't even finished the hat in these photos (there aren't any decreases yet!) and it's already big. I have had this problem with hats before...so perhaps I just have a ridiculously small head. Jay had a few choice descriptions for the overall look, all voiced through rather uncontrollable laughter. I haven't unravelled it just yet but when I do, it will in no way be related to the cables. The cable thing was definitely fun.



With the change in weather, I still need a hat though. I'm trying the Big Blue Beret with my one remaining ball of this wool instead. If it goes well, hopefully I can summon the courage to undo all that virgin cabled knitting. Better luck next time.

1 comments :

Deborah Guthrie said... [Reply to comment]

You are as cute and amazing as always. Great to see your knitting. Miss your dolls but understand that knitting is where you are right now.