Monday, August 08, 2011

little black dress


More Sadie-shot photographs, more me looking like the world's most awkward model. But I think this dress turned out really well, so they will have to do. I picked up a DKNY Vogue pattern (V1179) in the spring even though I've had bad luck with commercial patterns over the last few years. At this point I can't even remember why I started cutting out the tissue pieces. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I did. Other than the fiddly pleats (I mean, imagine trying to get pleats in knit jersey to be spaced evenly - it's pure torture) the dress was really easy to make and the resulting shape is comfortable and cute. It has the shape of the Mociun tie-front dress, minus the whole tie feature of course, but I like dress shapes that are snug where you are small (for me = bust) and roomy where you are...less small (ahem). So, great pattern and highly recommended. As for fabric, a lightweight jersey with drape would be perfect - my cowl is a bit heavy because I used a t-shirt weight knit but it's totally passable.



(Note to self for the next photo shoot: stand in front of the dimmer switch.)

4 comments :

Coco said... [Reply to comment]

Love it !!!
Ofcourse there is...every thing I love which you do.
Lol, you are so visual..light switch.

Thanks for sharing..love little monster's photograph; she can go out and earn a living.

artis said... [Reply to comment]

Saw the pattern. Looks way better on you.

beth said... [Reply to comment]

The dress is adorable!! I'll be looking for that pattern...

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

The dress is amazing, I love the style. It reminds me of a similar dress I had years ago. When I looked at the second photo of you in the dress, I gasped....I thought it was me all those years ago.

mum