Friday, March 26, 2010

nine patch




This quilt top was finished quite a while ago, but I wanted to see what it was like to get it quilted by someone else. I think you need space to be able to properly baste and quilt anything bigger than a chairpad. And space is something I'm very short on, not to mention time. So this top went home with my mom and she generously took it to a quilter she had used before.

Now, I have to admit I am a girl of simple tastes. But I often ignore my gut choice in an effort to branch out and try something new. In this case, I set aside my preference for quilting in the ditch (which I like because it allows for the fabric to be front and center) and requested a "meandering" pattern. I suppose "meandering" is open to interpretation and in the end my little quilt has more of a leafy pattern. And I'm sad to say that in my surprise, I didn't react well to it in front of my mom. I hope she believed me when I said I would get used to it, because now that the edges are bound (with continuous binding tape from this Etsy seller) I really like it, leafy quilting pattern and all. It's super cute and has plenty of uses (for example, right now it is folded up on the coffee table keeping Jay's feet comfy). And really, it's red, black and citron green with lots of polka dotted fabric - what's not to love?

4 comments :

AnnaVallance said... [Reply to comment]

I think it looks wonderful - the simple nine patch looking grand with the unexpected leafy quilting.

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

I love the binding you added, it's a great quilt and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Rima said... [Reply to comment]

This is beautiful!

t does wool said... [Reply to comment]

that is one sweet quilt! well done.