Sunday, September 16, 2007

gramma love

Truth be told, I learned how to crochet way before I ever knit. The women in my family were more of the doily-making variety instead of knitters; perhaps they preferred keeping track of only one needle or they liked the humour of being called a "hooker". I imagine the latter is the case, as crochet reminds me most of my Gramma Vi, who passed away two weeks ago. Sure, this summer has been absolutely crappy for losing loved ones, but at least remembering my Gramma makes me laugh. She was a crazy, one-of-a-kind lady. You could not leave her house without sparkles attaching themselves mysteriously to your body and she was a crochet queen. So finishing a crochet project is not only timely, but also therapeutic.

It turns out that crocheting is also easier to do on the subway when I'm standing behind Sadie's stroller. We only go 4 stops, but I suffer from having to always do something with my hands, so I make use of the time. This scarf is a simple fan pattern I found somewhere online and I like that it feels lacy without the task of having to memorize a lace knitting pattern, plus it looks the same on both sides. I used Rowan cashcotton, which is lovely to work with, and a 4.5mm hook. It's about 9 degrees outside right now, so I'd say I finished the scarf just in time.

See Gramma? I'm a hooker now too.

5 comments :

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

So sorry about losing your Gramma (on top of the loss on Jay's side recently). My Grandma is named Vi too -- she's still around, though well into her late 80s. In fact, Ruby's middle name is Violet, after her.

I've been a bit of a hooker as of late too. I like it.

Natalie said... [Reply to comment]

A perfect tribute to your grandma!

lamb-things said... [Reply to comment]

Very nice samantha, I miss her.....

mom

petite gourmand said... [Reply to comment]

lovely scarf..
so sorry to hear about your grandma.
I'm sure she would have loved it too.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I like this scarf !!! how do you do this point ??? do you understand my poor english ???